Through Jesus, you can be made right with God.
Would you like to know God personally and be confident that if you die you will go to heaven? Here are 4 simple steps to receive Jesus and begin a personal relationship with God.
1. Realize your need. The Bible says that all of us have sinned against God and are separated from Him. God is perfect and demands perfection, but everyone has been imperfect. We have all told a lie or taken God’s name in vain which are just two examples of what God considers sin. You need to be saved from your sin.
2. Recognize that Jesus died and rose again for you. The good news is that Jesus lived a perfect life. He is God’s son and was sent to earth for us as God’s gift to save us from our sins. He lived a perfect life and died for you. God punished Jesus instead of you. In addition, Jesus not only died, He rose from the dead. Because He rose from the dead, you can too and live forever.
3. Repent of your sin. Because Jesus died for your sin, you too should turn from your lifestyle of sin. There may be things that you want to hold on to, but God is calling you to leave your old life and old ways behind and start a new life as you live by faith in Him. This is not to say that you will never sin again, but you should regret your sin now strive to live a life of worship and repentance.
4. Receive Jesus into your life. Salvation is a gift and like any gift, it must be received. If you would like to receive Jesus and be made right with God right now, pray something like this: Dear Jesus, thank you for dying for me. I believe that you died for me and rose again. I receive you as my Master and Savior, now help me to live for you from now on, amen.
What next? Follow Jesus. Receiving Jesus is the first step to knowing God. Learning to follow Jesus is the key to your new life. Here are a few simple things you should start doing regularly to stay close to God.
1. Pray. Simply speaking to God is now possible because of what Jesus has done for you. God wants you to communicate with Him because He loves you and cares about your every need. Begin to talk to God as you would a friend or father.
2. Read. The Bible is God's word to us and has been given to us to help us through life. Grab a modern translation such as the NIV or ESV and begin to read the Bible systematically. Start in the New Testament with a book like John and let God speak to you personally.
3. Church. Find a church that teaches the Bible and attend on a regular basis. There is something special that God does when His people gather to worship him and be edified. You will get to know people who have been walking with Jesus longer and they will help you with your walk.
4. Influence. As Jesus said that "you will receive power and you will be my witnesses." The good news that we have received, we should share with others. As we are not followers of Jesus, now go and help others become followers of Jesus.